It all started when Republicans in Congress started complaining that national security officials within the Obama administration had been leaking classified counter-intelligence information in an effort to promote Obama's toughness on fighting terrorism. In response, the Justice Department obtained two months' worth of phone records for reporters working for the Associated Press. As the Washington Post describes the unusual move:
In a sweeping and unusual move, the Justice Department secretly obtained two months’ worth of telephone records of journalists working for the Associated Press as part of a year-long investigation into the disclosure of classified information about a failed al-Qaeda plot last year.
The AP’s president said Monday that federal authorities obtained cellular, office and home telephone records of individual reporters and an editor; AP general office numbers in Washington, New York and Hartford, Conn.; and the main number for AP reporters covering Congress. He called the Justice Department’s actions a “massive and unprecedented intrusion” into newsgathering activities . . .
In a letter to Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., the AP’s president and chief executive, Gary B. Pruitt, said that the Justice Department sought information beyond what could be justified by any specific probe and demanded that the government return the phone records and destroy all copies.
“There can be no possible justification for such an overbroad collection of the telephone communications of The Associated Press and its reporters,” Pruitt wrote to Holder. “These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP’s newsgathering operations, and disclose information about AP’s activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know.” . . .Not surprisingly, the chief culprit behind the leaks at question is CIA Director John Brennan, who at the time was serving as Obama's chief counter-intelligence adviser at the White House. You may recall that Brennan was responsible for putting out phony information to the media immediately after the capture and killing of Osama bin Laden in 2011, which could not have possibly taken place since the guy had been dead for about a decade. He's also the same guy who once ran the CIA post in Saudi Arabia which gave visas to 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers. And he's the same guy who ran a company under contract with the State Department whose employees illegally accessed and tampered with Obama's passport file to scrub damaging information contained within it that Obama did not want to become public while Obama was a candidate for president and Brennan was serving as a national security adviser to his campaign.
Numerous senior government officials have been interviewed in connection with the investigation into the AP story. Among those questioned was John O. Brennan, who served as Obama’s counterterrorism adviser before becoming CIA director this year.
In his confirmation hearing in February, Brennan said he had cooperated voluntarily with the Justice Department and had been interviewed. He acknowledged speaking to former U.S. government officials who work as commentators on television news, but he denied sharing any classified information.If this latest disclosure of unprecedented prying by the Obama administration into the media doesn't stir the mainstream media to begin providing the American people objective coverage of the actions of Barack Obama and the people who work for him, I don't know what will.